Sunday, October 12, 2014

"As a Result"

Summary:
This week we had to read Part III of They Say I Say and in chapter 8 they discussed connecting the parts. In most cases, we all type our essays listening to the little voice in our head talking and transferring it onto our essay and it may make sense to us, but no to the reader. When we do not implement words that connect two sentences it prevents the reader from understanding what the point of your sentence was. Doing so, it would make the reader have to go back and reread the sentence they just previously read. To prevent that, it is our job as the writer to make it easier on the reader by using connecting words/phrases. There are different categories for connecting words/phrases such as: addition, example, elaboration, comparison, contrast, cause and effect, concession, and conclusion. Making these slight connections results in a much more elaborate and fluid essay.

Response:
As I was reading this chapter, it opened my eyes to see that I do not connect my sentences often because I type what the little voice in my head says. In most cases, I just think of a concept and let my mind lead the way, but one thing I tend to forget is that what I am thinking and saying might not connect in the readers head like it does for me. Now being well informed, it allows me to take a step back and edit parts of my essay to further elaborate so that the reader will understand my point. It almost comes natural to us to listen to that voice, because it is easier to write with that kind of strategy, but since we are writing to a audience it made me realize that I need to gather my essay together in a way that any reader will fully comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment